Prominent Nationwide Truck Accident Lawyers
The attorneys at Humphrey, Farrington & McClain have represented victims in truck accident injury and wrongful death claims for more than a quarter-century. During that time, we have seen the worst types of negligence on the part of truck drivers, motor carriers, freight management companies and truck manufacturers. The trucking industry moves America and we all share in the value trucks and freight haulers add to our lives. Unfortunately, some truck drivers and companies put their own financial concerns ahead of safety and common sense on the road.
Improving Truck Safety Is the Job of the FMCSA
As part of the 1999 funding bill for the Department of Transportation, the U.S. Congress set up the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Responsibilities of the department include regulating truck drivers, management and vehicles. In addition, the FMCSA is responsible for tracking truck accident injury and death statistics and the causes of truck accidents.
Generally speaking, commercial truck drivers are skilled and patient drivers. Some truck accidents occur, however, because of failure to strictly adhere to FMCSA regulations or because of negligence on the part of truck drivers, motor carriers, freight management companies, maintenance subcontractors or shippers responsible for loading and securing freight. This negligence includes:
- Inadequate training as to driving technique, safety concerns and defensive driving
- Systems of compensation that encourage faster vehicle speeds and more hours of consecutive vehicle operation than would normally be advisable
- Unrealistic schedules and expectations of trucking companies that encourage drivers to hurry, despite safety risks involved
- Violations of FMCSA regulations regarding maintenance schedules
- Overloaded or improperly secured freight
- Defective equipment, truck brake failure, trailer decoupling
- Weather-related accidents
If you or a loved one has been in a truck accident, speak with a personal injury attorney at Humphrey, Farrington & McClain by contacting us online or calling 888-353-0491. We represent seriously injured truck accident victims in states across the country, including in Illinois, California, Texas and Florida.